Re: [OM] FS - Olympus OM 2S

Subject: Re: [OM] FS - Olympus OM 2S
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:23:37 -0600
NSURIT wrote:
> No.  The red and black lizard has just come home along with one  of its
> siblings after spending some time with John at Camtech.  This one is  one
> recently picked up because it was in nice condition and needed to be
 somewhere
> getting used.  If it sells, that is great and if not I'll keep it  as a
> back up.  As you know, the OM 2S is a very affordable model which  offers
some
> of the benefits of the more expensive OM 3 and 4 series.  Bill  Barber

The OM-2S stands in a very specific niche in the entire line. It has the
benefits of the OM-3/4 series with the mirror-box metering and LCD display.
But that's where it ends. The OM-2S has the most intelligent PAM selection
method ever put in a camera. It also has the superior digital display which
is oriented vertically instead of across the bottom. The bottom display
requires the eye to look down to see where the scale is at whereas you can
guestimate the shutter-speed position on the scale to the left without
looking at it. Motion at the side is easier to detect than on the bottom.

Another thing about the OM-2S is the spot-meter in manual exposure mode.
Unlike the OM-3/4 series, it's always live spot. The 3/4 won't dynamically
show you the spot-reading unless you have already pressed the spot button
and then the dynamic is just a tiny floating dot. For ultra-quick handheld
photography of a changing scene, the OM-2S slam-dunks the OM-3/4 metering
design.

Even the flash-ready light is in a better position as it too can be seen in
peripheral vision. The OM-3/4 flash-ready light is more to where the blind
spot is.

I always thought Olympus should have come out with the OM-2Ti modeled on the
OM-2S, but with the refinements of the OM-3/4 including the variable diopter
and 1/2000 shutter speed.

Even the exposure-compensation dial in the OM-2S is superior!

And just as the OM-3Ti is "different" in sound, the OM-2S isn't just in
another league, but is playing a different sport.

No, the OM-2S isn't a "lesser OM-3/4" but is of a totally different design
arc.

I'm tempted to pick up another, but the CDFO has indicated a moratorium on
any more OM bodies coming into the house unless one departs. And you know
THAT ain't happening. :)

But there is a temptation to retire my original OM-2S and get a shiny new
one...

Digital ain't got nuttin on the OM line.

AG