Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:48:28 +0100
Ken Norton wrote:
-----
<snip>
OK, maybe the Netherlands and Sweden have it all
figured out. Everybody is perfectly fine and there is total racial and
social harmony while preserving native languages and customs is wholly
supported--immigrants can be and do just as they did in their
homelands.
<snip>
-----

Ken, I trust you were a little sarcastic with this remarks? At least in the
Netherlands we haven't figured it out yet. We also have our racial issues.
While the Dutch may be known for their tolerance, It is not true for all of
us in equal. We can also be quite intolerant to foreigners, colored people
or unemployed, I am sorry to admit. One example from my own observation:  My
son in law (to be) is from Brazil. One day while waiting in line in a
supermarket a small boy was looking at him, but was "corrected" by his
mother with  the words "What are you doing, smiling at that monkey". We both
were to astonished to react before she moved out of sight. None of the other
customers or staff reacted in any way. One of the incidents that made me
rethink my vision about our tolerance.

Wiliam