[OM] Vivitar 90-180mm Aperture

Subject: [OM] Vivitar 90-180mm Aperture
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:14:18 -0500
JD writes:

>The mount on some Vivitars and
>the early versions of the OM adapter for Tamron lenses had 4 screws on
the mount
>which could be hazardous to the OM4.

>It is one heavy lens.

Yikes! The screw holes ominously look like where the OM but not the
newer OL adaptall adapters had the screw holes that
caused a problem.  I did fix one with epoxy but am not inclined to do
that to a lens. Eventually just snipped a newer adaptall. I hope I can
find the old doctored one.
Perhaps a bit of non residue tape will be OK for a mount or two.  Which
screw hole is the problem again?

The Mirex engineeers fixed that problem for me after I reminded them
about it in there customfabricated T-S adapter for OM,
but I didn't think to look at this Vivitar and have never heard of that
issue before.  Thanks for posting.

Not the lens is that heavy compared to a Canyon 180 macro and I am not
aware of any newer dedicated macro zooms.
It was pricey when new and I think referred to as a "medical lens."  I
think dentists and pathologists liked it.  I have read that it
was a financial bust.  Quite nice big butterfly lens for OM IMO.

Mike