Re: [OM] vosonic vp8890

Subject: Re: [OM] vosonic vp8890
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:18:59 -0800
On 1/13/2011 2:06 PM, SwissPace wrote:
> Has anyone got one of these, I don't really want to take my laptop on my
> upcoming trip so have been researching options, this looks good apart from
> two main things,

I went this route; different maker, some time ago, but the same concept. It
worked fine at first. Then the maker was
bought by somebody else, who stopped updating the firmware. New RAW formats
came along, new flash card formats came
along. Pretty soon it was far less useful than at first.

I don't see an 8890 on there site. The latest shown is 8870, which is already
out of date, as it doesn't support SDXC
cards. With a computer, not such a big deal, as one may add a card reader for
the new format. With something like this,
not so much.

Isn't this your chance to get an iPad, assuming St. Jobs has given the ability
to manage mass storage devices with an
adapter? That, a card reader and lots of cards would allow duplicate storage,
carried in different bags/places.

> 1. it says its fat only but I see hints on the internet that maybe you can
> format the disk as fat32 and then it would work, but I would like to know if
> this is true as I have bought a gopro hd camera and will be recording  some
> video and probably going over the 2Gb limit.

You really want to be messing with firmware compatibility issues on a no-name
item for a once in a lifetime adventure?

> 2. It also says it does not support h.264 but I wonder if this has been fixed
> with a firmware update.

Last update was June. No info on the site as to what it included.

> I could get a netbook I suppose but I really want to save space, so the other
> option is the xs smartdrive which does support fat32 and is much cheaper but
> doesn't have a display.

Are you going to have anything else to work as a display? I am totally
i-Ignorant. Can one use an Ipod to view/manage
the images?

Moose