Re: [OM] 50 Macros

Subject: Re: [OM] 50 Macros
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:45:20 -0600
> I know another lister sold his 50/3.5 only to experience severe regret
> within a couple of years. He went to inordinate lengths to retrieve his lost
> "precious" - if memory serves, he even had to resort to tales of what
> elemental sodium could do if misused....
>
> My lips are sealed, of course, but "you know who you are"..

LOL, my three return-trips have been for the 35/2.8, 50/1.4 and 200/4.
I don't use the 35/2.8 all that much, but it will never go away again.
I'm not so sure about the 50/3.5. I would actually be more interested
in the 50/2 for a couple of reasons, but getting rid of the 50/3.5
hasn't pained me all that much. YET!

The 35/shift is another tale for another day. I sold it to Joel.
Regretted that immensely. He gave it back to me on indefinite
long-term loan. He now has it back and I'm shiftless again. I won't be
buying one, though, because I'll most certainly be buying a 4x5 field
camera instead with native support for shifts and tilts.

The OM system is the undersung hero of the photographic world. Sure,
it gets accolades and people will whisper great things under their
breath about the Zuikos, but I don't think the world truly understands
the unique nature of the system. Once in a while I get wild thoughts
about getting a Leica. But then I ask myself "Why?" Granted, I can
come up with a couple good reasons, but the fact is, the OM system is
almost everything the Leica is and more. The lenses may not be as
"perfect" as the Leicas, but pretty close. And the overall asthetic of
the optics are distinctly European instead of Japanese.

It's funny (ironic funny, not Comedy-Central funny) how I get fuzzy
images and start to blame the lenses. Then I run a lens test and
discover that it's perfectly capable of maxing out the capture medium.
Only then do I discover that I'm being an idiot practicing poor
technique.

AG