Re: [OM] PHP

Subject: Re: [OM] PHP
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:03:26 -0600
The Simple Minded Moose is thinking too much again. ;)

He is right on this subject. I too don't bother with local testing.
Just work directly on the host system. However, what I do is have a
shadow site in another directory which I can use for development. Once
I get things the way I want, I just copy over the changes to the
working directory. In doing so, you'll immediately find issues with
apache settings which no two host providers seem to set up the same
way.

This should always work if you don't code to specific directories,
which is a bad thing to do because of the immobility of the site if
you should have to relocate servers or hosting companies. The only
thing specific is the relationship of the directory structure itself
and the name of the mysql database.  Otherwise, everything should be
floating.

Except when you need to build a site which isn't floating...

AG