Re: [OM] [OT] In depth SUV scientific based analysis (was TotallyOT

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In depth SUV scientific based analysis (was TotallyOT
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 20:19:28 +1000
English is a creole of Saxon and Norman French.
Then we started to simplify it by getting rid of inflections and the like.
It once had some very specific additional letters - two separate characters for
hard 'th' (still found in Icelandic I think) and another for a soft 'th'
(thorn). These have been lost like the diacritical marks in Greek and Hebrew.
This is why there is so much discussion as to what is 'right'. To me, pure
English (NOT British) is what the BBC used to use until they got a bit carried
away with vernacular dialects.
There are well-spoken variants of this in the US and Australia where the local
accent is little more than a slight colour (with a 'u').
Betty Windsor does not speak it but rather an nasal aristocratic high English -
her voice has changed significantly during her reign.
None of the above use an abomination like 'gotten'.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx