Re: [OM] Into the Light - from last week's portrait session

Subject: Re: [OM] Into the Light - from last week's portrait session
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 11:57:51 -0500
> An excellent, excellent portrait Ken, the 35-80 produces masterpieces
> in your hands. Your work with the "lowly E-1" humbles many a photographer
:-)

Thanks, guys! This old blind-squirrel finds a nut once in a while. After a
bit of editing, this one will go into the portfolio.

You do realize that I'm screwed. Here I've been trying to justify getting
the new Canon 5Dmk3 when it comes out, but with portraits like these, the
old E-1 is still gett'n it done. Grrrrr. The key to these things is never
buy a top-tier camera. They last too long.

To Bob's question, that tonality was pretty much one of the Lightroom
presets with a bit of modification. What I was trying to say is that there
is no significant editing of the picture with selective blurring,
local-contrast-enhancement or other trickery to cover up the weaknesses of
the lens. I did add quite a bit of vignetting, though, make it more
portrait-worthy. I did clone out a stray hair and one unfortunate branch.

OK, OK, so the picture is heavily modified. So sue me. :)

As I've mentioned a few times before (dozens? hundreds?), the 35-80 is one
of those special lenses which a person could make a career with.

I only showed you guys ONE picture from this shoot. The other 49 in the set
of proofs are all quite decent too. One of my better assignments.

AG