Re: [OM] What happens when your cable cutters don't work

Subject: Re: [OM] What happens when your cable cutters don't work
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:08:52 -0500
> Perhaps Bell learned something from that and similar crashes.  I have read
> quite a bit about the 429 in the last few days, and one thing I recall is
> that the roof of the 429 has been strengthened to prevent the main rotor
> gearbox from coming down through the roof in such accidents.

Here in Iowa, we recently got a couple new 429 air-ambulances. There
are numerous aspects of the aircraft which have addressed many of the
things that have killed and maimed a lot of people. But it isn't just
structural. The electronics in it are way improved too and it's
designed from the beginning to be a full-blown IFR aircraft, instead
of IFR capabilities bolted in. GPS, terrain mapping and other really
cool stuff installed. Even HUD. It's also a fast aircraft with a
distinctly different sound.

We live near the hospital here and there are times when they are in
full-speed mode and not wasting time. They'll clear our rooftop at
full cruise speed and a minute later they are on the ground after
doing a 270 degree circle. But it's not the fastest one. Another one
is a European-made helicopter which is faster and quieter. But I
notice that that one does much more aggressive banking, but does a
much slower descent.

The speed of descent is interesting. Something I read recently about
the 429 is that it is designed to not develop that rotor washout issue
where if you descend too fast without enough forward motion that it
sucks the air back around and you lose lift.

The sound difference with these new helicopters quite notable. The old
ones we could hear coming about 30 seconds to a minute before they
passed over our roof, but depending on which one it is, the new ones
are silent until they are blasting overhead. One pilot comes in a
little lower than the others and when he comes over, you jump out of
your skin.

AG