[OM] Lens design, bokeh, etc.

Subject: [OM] Lens design, bokeh, etc.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 15:56:14 -0700
There are cyclical discussion threads here about the 'drawing' characteristics,
expressed in many ways, of various
lenses, old and new. And, of course, lots of individual comments on bokeh in
individual posted images.

At the Boston MFA recently, I saw an original print of one of the most
reproduced photographs of all.
<http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/winston-churchill-by-yousef-karsh/>

The value of the old portrait lenses on LF is immediately apparent. On about a
2x3' print, maybe bigger, the detail and
clarity in the face is excellent, but entirely without any edginess, somehow
both smooth and sharp at the same time. The
smoothness of both the transition into OOF areas and the smoothness of those
areas is exceptional.

I wonder if ANY lens designed for 35mm of smaller format can create such an
image. Certainly none I've ever used nor any
images I've seen posted here or elsewhere on the web.

LF also means no noticeable grain in a large print.

Moose