Re: [OM] Olympus' future truly looks bleak after latest revelations...

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus' future truly looks bleak after latest revelations...
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 13:45:54 -0000
I will not take offence at your question, Chris, intended in all innocence I
am sure, but no, I am neither auditor nor accountant. But my work over the
past 25 years has brought me into close contact with the profession on both
sides of the fence.

The qualified audit report was on Gyrus Group, the UK company acquired by
Olympus. The shareholders of Olympus UK are, of course, Olympus Japan - so
the shareholders didn't smell a rat, because they *were* the rat! See my
response to Andrew for some prize quotes.

At the end of last month it was reported here
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Olympus_It_is_not_true_KPMG_withdr
ew_from_Gyrus_update_1pm_news_310153.html that:

"[Olympus] hit back at a report that accountants KPMG cancelled their
auditing contract with Gyrus over the latter's alleged relationship with a
firm in the Cayman Islands. In a statement issued on 24 October Olympus said
it appointed new auditors, Ernst & Young, 'because of expiring contracts'.
The statement added: 'Therefore, it is not true that KPMG withdrew from
auditing Gyrus.
'In addition to this, Olympus Group (including Gyrus) has received an
unqualified opinion on the auditing reports for the consolidated financial
statements for the year ended March 2009, from the previous auditor (KPMG).
All the accounting closing procedures were appropriate.'"

It's very carefully phrased
1       KPMG did not withdraw from the group audit - they were sacked by
Olympus (after a 40 year audit relationship), after starting to ask awkward
questions
2       Olympus Group (including Gyrus) did receive an unqualified
consolidated group audit. It was the standalone audit of Gyrus which was the
problem - and it was from the local UK audit of Gyrus that KPMG withdrew.

This one will indeed run and run!

Piers