Re: [OM] The Leica film - good news and bad news and good news

Subject: Re: [OM] The Leica film - good news and bad news and good news
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:10:06 -0800
On 12/6/2011 2:35 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> ... There is absolutely no reason why any of us can't process
> and scan our own B&W film. Got a kitchen sink? You're in business.
> Film and chemistry is still pretty cheep.
>
> Don't have a scanner? Then get an old film duplication setup and use
> your digital camera to "digitize" the film.

That can certainly work for older film, especially, I suppose, if the lens was
less than stellar.

I've posted before about comparing a 4000 DPI scan of early '40s Kodachrome
slides to shooting them using the Auto
Bellows with 80/4 Auto and slide duplicator on my 5D. The results were slightly
different form each other, and I was
hard pressed to say which was better. But I think with good lens and technique
with modern films that the scanner would
give noticeably better results.

For smaller prints or web size images, the copier route would be fine. It is,
however tedious compared to scanning, in
my limited experience.

Scanning Moose