Re: [OM] Strike one up for the underground protest

Subject: Re: [OM] Strike one up for the underground protest
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:04:29 -0600
> There are some offer 1000Mbps, my ISP tried to convince me to upgrade to
> 500Mbps (price from $23 increased to $30, both included a fixed phone line)
> but I simply don't need this speed.

I was stewing on this and then realized that you live in a
multi-tennant building. The typical implemention in a structure like
this is to place a router in the building and then have risers to
switches serving multiple units. Having fiber to each unit is simple
and straightforward as it is run within the utility ducts built into
the structure. The router for the building is most likely served with
just a single 1GbE circuit or two if redundant feeds. The ethernet
port facing each customer is rate limited either at the switch itself
or through the remotely programmable CPE (customer premise equipment),
also known as a NID (Network Interface Device).

This type of configuration is common in high-rises in most cities
around the world and not just in Hong Kong. The difference, though, is
that in Hong Kong, nearly everybody lives in these kinds of buildings,
whereas in the USA, only a small percentage of our population does.
Keep in mind that the population of ONE of those buildings is greater
than most towns that I work with.

As a provider, it probably costs me almost 100 times  as much to serve
my typical customer as it would to serve you. Yeah, I'm envious.

AG