Re: [OM] iPhone Apps

Subject: Re: [OM] iPhone Apps
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:17:02 -0600
> Does anyone have any recommendations about useful photography related iPhone
> apps ?

iOS and Android!

The killer apps:

1. Emerald - Sequoia clock/observatory. Different apps for different
screen sizes. This is a must-have for the iPhone, iPad or iPod. I
don't think they have the Android version ready yet. The Observatory
was the first app I bought for $1.00. It lives on my screen most of
the time. At a glance you can see the golden hours, twilight hours as
well as rise/set times. Moon phase, positions, etc. Best $1.00 I've
ever spent on software.

2. iDoF Calc - avs-soft.com. This is a DoF calculator that works
pretty well. Decently done and does remember your last setting.

3. For video slate applications, I like FreeSlate and Hukilau Slate.

4. TPE - The Photographer's Empheris. This is the grand-daddy of sun
and moon rise/set applications. It uses not only the mapping data, but
elevation data to properly calculate the position and exact time of
horizon or subject intercept. This one is multi-platform. It is a paid
app, but a bargain price. If I were to suggest ANY program, this would
be the one program.

5. As alternatives to TPE, there is PhotoMoon, VisiMoon, LightTrac,
but these are not quite as good overall.

6. 3D Sun - Keeps you informed of solar activity and auroras.

7. Easy Release

8. Air Display

And so on...

On the Android platform, I use Heavens Above, Satellite AR, Iridium
Flares, Google Sky for keeping track of night sky opportunities.

Other apps which I have of varying degrees of success--these are
Android, but there are also iOS variants: gStrings (instrument tuner),
Remote Height, GPS Essentials, GPS Status, SpaceWx, Aurora, Fing,
WiGLE Wifi, Wifi Analyzer, Visual Traceroute, Speed Test...

But the one I use every day is GasBuddy.

AG