[OM] Vivitar 283, was:] IMG: Crocus Without Flash

Subject: [OM] Vivitar 283, was:] IMG: Crocus Without Flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:31:14 -0500
There were a number of accessories available for the 283.  One of them
is this filter adapter and set of wa/tele filters.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVITAR-FA-1-ADAPTER-FILTERS-283-/380414741339?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item58927c4b5b>
IIRC I think the coverage angle of the Vivitar 283 is that of a 35mm
lens.  There was also a set of color filters to be used in the filter
adapter.  I've sent you a user's manual pdf by email.

If you're going to use this on an electronically controlled film camera
or a digital camera be sure to check the trigger voltage to be sure you
don't fry your camera.  283s started life in the early 70s and were
available for many years.  The follow-on model, the 285, is still being
made today.  But, as you might imagine they have gone through extensive
revisions over their 40 year history.  Early 283s may have trigger
voltages as high as 600 volts.  My own version was 260 volts.  My Canon
5D is built to take 250 volts.  I suspect it would have been OK but the
283 never got mounted on the Canon.  I believe that current 285
production is 12 volts or less.  Early Canon digitals D10, D30 could
only handle 6 volts.  Trying to get a max voltage spec for your camera
from the manufacturer is difficult.  But, AFAIK, all Canon digitals
starting with the 20D are good for 250 volts.

If this flash has not been used in a long, long time you may find it
necessary to "reform" the capacitor.  See instructions in the user's
manual for first usage of a new flash.

Good luck
Chuck Norcutt