Re: [OM] Bald eagle juveniles at Little Manatee River, Ruskin, Florida

Subject: Re: [OM] Bald eagle juveniles at Little Manatee River, Ruskin, Florida
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 22:57:32 -0800
On 3/7/2012 3:18 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I didn't know there was (or had been) a 750/6.  I just found one on
> ebay.  Nice size and speed.  Probably would have been perfect for my 100
> yard shots.  My Celestron 8 is just too big to haul around.

Those are nice efforts. For many years, we had a Red Tailed hawk nest in the
back yard of a house across the street. One
year, I set up with sturdy tripod, OM-4 and various lenses and tele-converters.

The best lens, overall, was a Meade 1000/11 telescope. The Vivitar 600/8 is
faster and probably a better lens, but
simple magnification wins out for this subject. The Meade is a bit low
contrast, but post can deal with that.

The two biggest problems were tree movement and DOF. The nest was very high
up.The yard is down slope, so the birds
weren't as far away as they would otherwise have been, but there was still
considerable movement of the tree at that
height in even very moderate breezes. Hmmm. Now I wonder if it's worth digging
up those old shots and trying Focus Magic
motion correction...

I wasn't able to entirely separate pure DOF issues from those exacerbated by
subject movement. But I know I would
certainly think carefully about DOF before getting a 750/6.

I was not particularly happy with a Tamron 350/5.6, and DOF was part of that.
When you've got only one aperture, it
makes sense to make sure it is the one you want. :-)

Another solution to reach is the one I've recently used, a smaller sensor. That
makes the Tokina mirror an effective
960/8, and that is mighty fine.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Yosemite/Yosemite_2011/Yosemite_Valley&image=_MG_0382oof80m.jpg>

I did, of course, have to correct contrast for the effects of shooting through
about eight miles of late afternoon air. :-)

Long Distance Moose