Re: [OM] Bald eagle juveniles at Little Manatee River, Ruskin, Florida

Subject: Re: [OM] Bald eagle juveniles at Little Manatee River, Ruskin, Florida
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:35:21 -0500
I still think the Celestron 750/6 would have been about perfect for
those eagles at (assumed) 100 yards.  The size of the image at 750mm vs
300mm would have been not much larger than the area that I cropped and,
even at f/6, the depth of field would have given nearly 10 feet both
ahead of and behind the point of focus... certainly sufficient to get
both birds in focus even when they weren't setting on the same branch.
f/6 would also have allowed almost 2 additional stops on shutter speed.

I suspect that an f/6 mirror will have relatively low contrast due to
the large central obstruction but, as you said, you can deal with that
in post.  My Orion 500/5.6 also has low contrast but I've not tried to
use that since starting digital post processing.  Tells you how long
it's been setting in the closet unused.  I even bought a Canon T ring
for it but have never mounted the 5D.

Chuck Norcutt