Re: [OM] Silence of the lambs

Subject: Re: [OM] Silence of the lambs
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:16:11 -0400
Yes, if your job is hand assembling widgets then the Chinese or some
other low cost labor source will eat your lunch.  On the other hand, if
you're a plumber there may be Chinese plumbers willing to work at far
lower wages... but the transportation cost to get to your house is
prohibitive.  The plumbers are safe... at least for the moment.  I dunno
what else is coming down the pike.

This is the web site of Clyde Butcher, one of my favorite photographers.
<http://clydebutcher.com>  As you can see from his gallery
<http://clydebutcher.com/online-gallery.cfm> Clyde has a fairly unique
subject area... large format B&W landscapes in the Everglades.  I like
to think of him as the Ansel Adams of the Everglades.  I don't think
Clyde is "rich" but, from all appearances, I think he's doing very well
for himself and is extremely happy doing what he loves best.  I'd love
to do what he does (I love the Everglades) but I'm not sure I'd walk out
into the swamp waist high in water all alone as he does.  I've been on
one of his swamp walks and waist high in the water (with a panicky water
moccasin swimming between my legs) but in a small group with a guide.
It would take more nerve than I probably have to do it alone.
Therefore, I think his work is secure for the foreseeable future as
there are few others who do what he does and where he does it.

Photographic survival (for money at least) may require finding just such
a comfortable niche.

Chuck Norcutt