Re: [OM] Thoughts on Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Thoughts on Film
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:45:10 -0500
> ...then you get the problem of using your existing lens hoods, have to buy a
> selection of RB-67 hoods (cheap enough at KEH last time I looked).

Yup. this is a problem. However, the stock hood, as cool as it is,
prevents adjustment of a polarizer or ND-grad without removing the
hood.

One thing about shooting film is that it, and the cameras used, are a
mature technology. Digital is still evolving. Each new model that
comes out induces panic attacks until we buy it. We're still trying to
find that holy grail of cameras that come even close to the maturity
of design that we have in a '90s film camera. Nikon and Canon both are
good examples of the two-steps forward, one-step back design
philosophy.

I could shoot with my brace of OM-4T bodies or the OM-3Ti without
shame that the guy next to me has a superior camera that is two weeks
newer than the one I have. My only shame on this trip was that Joel
was shooting the RB67 with those mammoth negatives. Still no
winning... Well, maybe a little bit. Watching Joel lug the RB case
around gave me comfort in my own compromised format.

But film, oh, film... Moose's thoughts on the OM-D kinda reinforce
this. When looking at those bright fall colors through the viewfinder,
he wasn't sure what he was getting. (Trust me, Moose, the reds will
probably have been blown out). It bothered him a bit. This induced
anxiety is something that is relieved with experience and time with
the camera. I know, through time and experience what the Fujichromes
do with the fall colors. Instead of worrying, chimping and dialing in
exposure offsets, I just shoot and let the film do its thing. I
actually go into more of an "auto mode" when shooting film than with
digital. I know what to expect, so I just expose it a certain way and
go on to the next picture.

There are days when I see value in having a digital camera without a
digital display. When shooting a typical fall color landscape, I tend
to shoot, chimp, worry, adjust, shoot, chimp, worry some more, become
distracted, shoot another shot with exactly the same setting for good
measure, then fret for the rest of the day that I didn't get the shot
right until I am able to load it up on my laptop to confirm that the
colors are great, but the composition stinks.

But that's just me. I'm pretty sure that none of you (especially
Moose) have this problem.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx