Re: [OM] Instagram Wants To Sell Users' Photos Without Notice

Subject: Re: [OM] Instagram Wants To Sell Users' Photos Without Notice
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:53:05 -0000
Well said, Jim.

I have not read any of the outpourings by Instagram users, nor the original
Instagram announcement, but it seems less than unlikely to be an
over-reaction to a misunderstanding.

Firstly, I assume that photos uploaded to Instagram are displayed (i.e.
Instagram is publishing the photos) alongside ads (and Instagram is
receiving income which arguably derives from the photos). Instagram needs
permission from the copyright holder to publish the photos, and needs
explicit permission to profit from the publication. There's your "
'perpetual' rights to all photos ... [and] ... to sell the photos to
advertisers without notice - or payment to the user " . For pity's sake,
"it's free" doesn't meant it doesn't have to be paid for somehow!

Secondly, to extend from that carte-blanche to Instagram becoming a kind of
photo stock agency is plain bananas - there is no shortage of stock agencies
already (with quality assurance built-in, at minimal cost per use) and, in
honesty, who would want to trail through thousands upon thousands of "stuff"
for  something usable, when the stock agencies have keywording all over
their material.

Please, let's inject some reality! Have any of you forgotten to take your
tablets today (Jez excluded!). Yup, though so...

Piers