Re: [OM] (OM) OT PC backup programs

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT PC backup programs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 20:49:14 -0700
On 5/21/2013 5:38 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> A call for advice please.
>
> I have noticed slightly increasing noise from my PC hard-drive lately, and
> have decided to get a stand-alone hard-drive for back-up. Also sometimes
> the PC baulks at starting as it should.
>
> I haven't done this until now due to money considerations, but I think the
> time has come to take the next step.
>
> I have installed a Newegg SATA controller card, obtained through the help
> of Chuck ( Newegg will not sell to New Zealand), so that part is ready. I'm
> running Windows XP. Dick Smith, an electronics retailer is just 7 km distant.
>
> Please advise what back-up / restore programs are recommended,
> preferably which will do periodic additions to backup.

 From what you describe, what you need first is to clone your boot drive onto a
new HD. If the boot drive is indeed
failing, prompt action may avoid a lot of trouble.

If, by chance, you boot drive is a Western Digital - and you buy another WD to
replace it, you may download a special,
free copy of Acronis True Image that only works WD to WD.

I have been having some problems with booting. They are most likely the power
supply, but I had not backed up my boot
disk for ages. I used the Acronis WD Edition to clone the drive, and am now
running on the cloned drive, which has
almost infinitely fewer running hours than the one it replaces.

Chuck found an older version of Acronis cheap, and has reported here that it
works well. So if you have other brand
disks ...

After cloning, you may consider incremental content back-ups and/or clones.

Now I need to see if the power supplies of this and my last desktop are
compatible. It's really time for a new computer,
but in the mean time, I'd like this one to run trouble free.

Moose Clone