Re: [OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:35:27 +0000 (UTC)
Thanks, Dean, for expanding on the link.  I ran across it and just quickly
posted it.  While I used the older 38 for most of my work with film, I now use
the auto 20 on Oly digital for most shots.  Yes, the auto lenses have been
selling very high, and this would be a cheap entry level macro setup for studio
use if it doesn't bid up 3-4x.  Curiously, I never used the 135 in the
field.......will have to try that.  Thanks for the tip.
        ----- Original Message -----  From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>  To:
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Sent: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:49:42 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses       Don H. posted a link to three
older OM macro lenses for sale on ebay.  I  have two, the 80 and the 20, and I
haven't used either in years.  The 80/4  is the older, "preset" version--i.e.,
focus wide open, then manually stop  down to a pre-set f-stop.  Ahh, maybe OK
on a tripod in the studio, but  kinda clumsy in the field.   I've thought of
using it on my Bolex EL 16mm  movie camera but haven't gotten a "round tuit"
yet.  (But the 135/4.5 from  Bill B. works great on the EL for butterfly work.)
 Both the 38 and 20  manual lenses are an order of magnitude less useful than
their automatic  versions.       The automatic 38/2.8 is the entomologist's
macro lens to kill for.  That's why I have three.  And no one was killed--just
two unbelievably  lucky (< $200) snipes on ebay.      In short, if you're l
 ooking to do some serious macro shots with an OM  film camera, I'd say hold
out, and pay the price, for the automatic  versions of these focal lengths.
Luv that 38/2.8 Dean  --