Re: [OM] (OM) OT Update

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Update
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 00:40:21 +1200
Chuck wrote:
> The fact that it's only one paper
> is not a surprise as Dr. Cooke is about the only guy around who has
> actually done clinical research on L-arginine.  Your other sources have
> never published any of their work.  How come?

I don't know for sure because I've not asked them.

However, perhaps a parallel situation exists around and in Stanford as did in
the NZ Forest Service where I served for 32 years until made redundant
along with 3,000+ others.

We had scientists and technicians whose job was to do research. They got
paid for that, and they got pay increases the more refereed papers they got
published.  Writing refereed papers was their means of communicating with
the outside world. Not very effective at that but it got them higher pay, and
kudos within the scientific fraternity.

Then there were management professionals such as me whose job included
managing and creating forests. I spent quite some time keeping up with
relevant research from around the world, and applying it to our work when
appropriate. I could also do research if I wished but it would have little
immediate effect on getting a salary raise. I was free to write non-refereed
papers in our professional journal, and could write newspaper articles as
well. People got to know if our application of research actually worked, or if
it
did not.

I suggest that perhaps Dr John Cooke belongs to the first category, and Dr
Joe Prendergast to the second. Prendergast has chosen to post videos
on-line to get his message across, and there are many 2 - 3 minute videos
of his to be found. He also wrote his personal book - and by the way his
videos fill in some of the gaps in his book. He has chosen that route to get
information to the general public, rather than hiding them in scientific
journals. But his MAIN goal in life was to treat people who might develop
heart disease, and prevent that from happening - along with treating
diabetes. Based on well-established death rates in diabetics, if he saved
32% of 5,000 patients in 18 years, he has saved the lives of 1,600 individual
people that he knows about. Not only has he been recognised publicly for
this by the awarding of a medal, but I'll bet he feels considerable
satisfaction
too. A 10-minute video of his that is worth watching is this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqLcblMyIY

He also has a pdf file available about L-arginine. It is not a big file.

http://www.pmrf.org/projects/larginine.pdf

See also  http://www.erasedisease.com/resource/Dr_Joe_Open_Letter.pdf

I have written a 7 page 3187 word article for an investigative magazine on
the topic in which I urge New Zealand organisations to carry out 5 - 10 year
studies on the use of L--arginine. I doubt it will get published however,
because after I discovered the massive site of  the NZ Health Ministry and
all their data, and incorporated some of it into the paper, it looked as though
I had lost the plot (to keep it punchy and brief). It blew out an extra 3
pages..
I have not recently heard from the editor ... :-(

Brian Swale