[OM] Another July '13 Trip photo

Subject: [OM] Another July '13 Trip photo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 22:56:37 -0700
Returning to Calif., we drove down US 97. For many miles, it is rather flat,
mixed desert and irrigated fields, a lot of
relatively low key sameness. There was also a lot of dust in the air, so the
visibility was considerably less than I've
seen before.

We climbed a modest ridge, and as we turned at the summit, an apparition
appeared. Visibility to the South was also
limited, but more like water vapor mist. Out of this appeared Mt. Shasta, just
the main cone. The lower parts weren't
visible, and even the secondary peak, Shastina, was almost lost in the haze.

Something about this floating mountain seemed all out of proportion to our
surroundings, just huge, and floating in the
sky. It jarred us. Then the road descended and it disappeared behind trees and
closer, lower topography.

I have many, much 'better' shots of Mt. Shasta. I can't really judge how this
one will strike others, because it brings
back to me that moment and the emotional impact.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=7773>

I could easily up the contrast, etc. But I think this is as it appeared to us.

Shasta is an impressive mountain anyway. The highest point in the continental
US, Whitney, is hard to pick out from the
other 14, 000+ ft. peaks around it. Shasta rises about 10,000 ft. straight up
from the surrounding terrain. But the
impression on us was something else.

Holy Moly Hill Moose