Re: [OM] (Extremely OT) Downton Abby

Subject: Re: [OM] (Extremely OT) Downton Abby
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 10:28:21 -0500
On Jan 8, 2014, at 6:49 PM, Moose wrote:
> <snip>

> I enjoyed it through the first season, with some caveats for soapy silliness.
> Carol is still watching, and gave me
> synopses for a while, but I'm fully clean now.

It's not as hard a habit to break as I thought. <g>

>> We must now satisfy our Brit TV needs catching up with six seasons of Doc
>> Martin. <g>
>
> Great show! Did you notice Martin Clunes as a minor character, completely
> opposite to the Doc, a member of the Drones
> Club, in Jeeves and Wooster? If you've not seen that series, with Hugh Laurie
> and Stephen Fry, it's a must!

Not familiar with Martin Clunes in anything else. At least not yet. Jeeves and
Wooster sounds like a winner. Will look for it. Loved Hugh Laurie in House,
until it jumped the shark with the pursuit by the cops for drug abuse. By then,
House's nonsense just got annoying. One thing I enjoy about Brit TV is they
seems to have a better notion of when to stop than their American cousins.

> There are some other good UK series, that didn't make it to US PBS. We are
> through the first season of "House of Eliot"
> and I just downloaded the rest. Started Last Tango in Halifax and enjoying
> that through three episodes so far.

One we found that blew us away was The Fall, with Gillian Anderson. Season One
over, Season Two currently in production. She's a rather interesting Chief
Superintendent trying to track down a serial killer in Belfast. (Not the
Belfast in Maine.) It's pretty raw, but very well done.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal