Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 12:22:17 -0600
> Getting up at 6am does not agree with me !

Which is why few of us get sunrise photographs.

> There was (in my opinion) good foot traffic;
> 50 - 60 % elderly locals and NZ tourists, the remainder being 30% Asian
> and Indian tourists and Australian, Brit, USA, EU tourists.

I grew up in a touristy area which had various arts festivals about
every weekend all summer long. Pretty standard breakdown. The elderly
locals will go for something crafty that shows something very unique
and historic. The tourists will buy something that is representative
of the area.

> I didn't
> sell a thing, and it wasn't price as the decisions to not buy were made
> long before price entered the decision train. Only ONE customer asked
> about price.

Ouch. But we've all been there/done that.

> Clearly it's format and content; maybe mainly format as I
> had lots of compliments about the photos but not necessarily from
> potential buyers. My format is mainly 'A4', with larger prints 8 x 12
> and 12 x 18 inches.

I have also found that the standard crops and measurements aren't
moving as much. Wide, ahem, VERY wide borders rule.

> His costs are low; he now shoots entirely film 6 x 17, and
> prints and processes it in his own darkroom. He prints on Fuji Crystal
> Archive paper which costs him less than $10 ( I forget the exact amount)
> per square metre, which converts to about $1.25 per print. He sells them
> sleeved, un-matted, for $10 each for his regular size with larger sizes
> priced at $20 and $100.

"Craft Pricing" combined with "Craft Format". The "Great Lie" about
digital being less expensive than film rears its ugly head when it
comes to bulk output. I know what my costs are for B&W and it's a
small fraction of digital. A tiny fraction. I really don't want to
share what my costs for the most premium-grade fiber-based B&W paper
is, but it's so low as to be almost laughable.

> I think that in the short term at least I will create 6 x 17
> images using my E3 and tripod, and use Hugin to make small panorama
> shots, and crop to the desired dimensions using the crop feature of
> Faststone.

I wouldn't necessarily do that, but I would be experimenting around
and seeing what formats and subjects sell and milk them.

> How to get them printed is another and serious matter as my
> usual printer ( Photo and Video in Merivale) doesn't have pano shots as
> part of their print menu.

Combine multiple pictures to an ordered print and cut them apart later.

> I DO have a Canon S9000 printer (which I got
> virtually for a song) which I have not fired up seriously. Somebody in
> this list told me I should use encapsulating paper in this printer but I
> have not investigated availability, sizes and price for the paper.

At this point, absolutely not. My old S9000 prints are still holding
up, but the latest papers aren't actually as good because of
manufacturing cost savings and the fact that all the developoment has
migrated to pigment.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx