Re: [OM] IMG: Rainy Day Reading

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Rainy Day Reading
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 00:41:12 -0600
Thanks for the comments, Chris.  I'm only two chapters into the book,
but it appears to be history written as a novel, so it is a pleasure to
read.

Over here, restrictions keep getting tighter, but one still has the
freedom to make choices, even poor ones.  Last night was rainy, all over
the midstate, with the temperature near freezing. A wealthy Kansas
cattleman and his family were headed to the largest convention of the
year in their business, in Nashville. After making an approach to the
"business" airport, John Tune, on the west side of town, in his
turboprop Aerocommander 690, he started a missed approach and went
around for another try.  About seven miles out, he struck the ground in
a small cleared area and exploded, narrowly missing a YMCA containing
300 people.

The crash killed husband (the pilot), wife, daughter and granddaughter.

Nashville International, across town, offered better approaches and much
longer runways.  I really can't say how the weather differed in the two
locations.

The NTSB is on the scene, and will offer opinions on their findings and
causes.  What I have is from news sources, and from viewing his flight
path on FlightAware.  The locals are calling the pilot a hero for
missing the YMCA.  No one seems to question his judgement in choosing
his destination.

Pardon me while I climb down from my soapbox..................... :-(

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA