[OM] Simple lens designs like Tessar on Digital cameras.

Subject: [OM] Simple lens designs like Tessar on Digital cameras.
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 19:25:59 -0500
Over the years there have been lots of small cameras still using the
venerable
Tessar design.

Agreed. There are only so many ways to efficiently slay the aberration jaberwockies. Here is a history of the Tessar patented by Zeiss:

www.zeiss.com/content/dam/.../cln39_en_web_special_tessar.pdf

I always thought given its design it was just developed by modifying the Cooke triplet (1890's?) in which one of the exterior positive elements has been replaced by a cemented group to create the Tessar, but its origin was different. Again efficient design leads to similar solutions. The Heliar does seem to have been an offshoot of the triplet.

Using modern glass variations the degrees of freedom available has increased dramatically and superb simple lenses are possible. I think Andrew has an expensive elegant Cooke triplet of recent design. Where is our venerable list curmudgeon anyway?--he should be back by now.

One Cooke triplet I still like is the Meyer-Optik Görlitz Trioplan 100 mm f/ 2.8 Lens in M42 mount. I did try and snipe a few but the price has gone way way up the past few years. It just has a wonderful rendering and very nice bokeh. (IIRC the version with red V on it has the best coatings)

3  or 4 can be plenty, Mike