[OM] OT: The Evil of Computers

Subject: [OM] OT: The Evil of Computers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:10:07 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     As of last Monday I was unable to leave feedback or contact sellers on
evilBay, either on dialup or wifi.  So, I did the usual updating of everything
up to this morning.  Nothing changed.  I therefore dug out my forbidden Win7
hard drive and tried again.

     Everything worked, even though the Firefox browser is many versions old.
I'll take care of updating the essentials next time I have wifi access.  What
this says is that the browser is of no consequence, instead it's the operating
system you're using.

     This is scary.  Last year I had to contend with 19CL denying access to
their wifi hubs if you were using any operating system prior to Win7, which
resulted in my having to stop going to the coffee shop I had attended for the
past 6 years and go to another one where I can even use an ancient Win98/SE
notebook.  Now I find that evilBay and perhaps other major websites have
incorporated coding that denies full access to anything prior to Win7
regardless of the browser you're using.

     This is like going to a hospital and being told that you are denied health
care unless you submit to a total replacement of your blood.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson