Re: [OM] Out of the Dark

Subject: Re: [OM] Out of the Dark
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 13:25:57 -0700
On 8/24/2015 12:48 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
In celebration of shedding one child out of the household, I got
myself a little going away present to combat the grief-stricken
lonely-parent syndrome.

[Sound of sad violin music]

I bought a flashlight.

On 8/18/2015 9:20 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
We turned off the light at the end of the tunnel to save money.

:-)

I got a Streamlight ProTec HL tactical LED flashlight. It's about 750
lumens of eyeball searing power. Something like 18500 candelas. I've
got it programmed to come on low-power with one tap, and high power
with two taps.

Among the thing I seem to collect with the money I don't spend on drugs or fast things, are flashlights. I don't quite understand this one. The high power seems like overkill and the low too low. I have a set of three 200 lumen lights I got at Costco for less than a third of the cost of this. 200 lumens is a lot of light and the lower setting is useful, too. Run on three AAAs. I'm also amazed by the brightness of a Cree that uses a single AA and focuses.

I'll want to pick up some rechargeable C123A equivalent batteries. I
can see myself going broke buying batteries if I go nuts with it.

I've intentionally stayed away from the CR123 based flashlights. Lots of Eneloop AA and AAA batteries (and Amazon eqs.) run so many many things. With a couple of smart chargers, I'm covered. I don't need another type.

But
it will serve me well for my walks at night. I usually walk without
any light on, but once in a while it would be nice to scare whatever
it is that's lurking in the bushes. As I also will walk through the
economically challenged part of town it will partially function as a
PPD, or at least work well with another PPD.

Ah well, there, an old fashioned MagLite is the classic light plus PPD tool. I've upgraded my 3 and 4 D cell models to LEDs. Not as bright as your new baby, but way heftier. OTOH, I don't walk in those parts of town, so they stand by in garage, basement and master bedroom.

The low power setting is supposed to be something like 35 lumens, but
even that is well done and looks great.

The whole brightness thing is like ISOs; double or half the power is only one
stop.

Over Lit Moose