Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 13:17:14 -0700
On 8/30/2015 5:30 AM, John Hudson wrote:
I looked at a promo YouTube clip for the RX100vi and was surprised to see that there is no lens threading and therefore [?] no opportunity for using a clear lens protecting filter or a polarizing filter.

You are correct. And, unlike the Canon G series through the G14 and some larger A series, there is no mount at the base of the lens to hold a tube to hold filters and even rather large, heavy WA and Tele adapters.

OTOH, as Bob points out, this is a pocket camera with retracting lens with protective blades that close when it retracts. The front element is only exposed when in use. I have had and used several such cameras with no problems of lens element damage. Flare is another problem, but not more so than in any other zooms where any hood only protects at the wide end. Wear a hat, use it to block out of frame flare.

Some have subtle hoods for their widest setting built into the cover mechanism. My Panny ZS40, for example has a slightly dished in front plate with non-rectangular opening spaced out a bit from the FE when the protective blades are open. I believe it is a 24 mm FOV hood. This sorta shows it. <http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs40>

Is this now a common feature with up market point and shoots?

I don't know them all. I suspect that the advent of the very useful control rings around the base of lenses has precluded the tubes. The design of these collapsible lenses is such that it would be hard to include filter threads in the first place, and putting more than a light filter on would put the lens mechanism at risk. Small and light are the enemy of heft and robustness.

Lensmate makes adapters for the RX100 series, Canon G15/16, and likely others. It involves gluing a small, light piece on the front of the lens, a bit of kludge. Their filter holder then bayonets on. I've seen other adapters for tiny cameras using magnets.

Hooded Moose