Re: [OM] Technology Survey

Subject: Re: [OM] Technology Survey
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 08:27:42 -0800
> From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Considering that personal computers have been around since 1975 or so, they
> also have shown a lot of ignorance it they think those questions apply to
> anyone over 50. I'm 54 and I've been playing around with computers since
> high school.

To be fair, you and I are probably outliers.

When I was building computers in my garage, friends and relatives were saying,
“What would you ever want THAT for?” And quite frankly, I had trouble telling
them! (Until I read “Dream Machines,” see below.)

So I think it’s probably more true than false that people “of a certain age”
were not on the computer bandwagon since its inception.

> Or Doug Engelbart who sketched out the whole concept of hyperlinks and
> built the first mouse muchh earlier.

I thought it was Ted Nelson (in “Dream Machines/Computer Lib”) who came up with
hypertext in 1974? (My copy is getting yellow. Should I store it in nitrogen?
:-)

I met Doug Englebart at a conference, along with Adele Goldberg and many others
of the Xerox Palo Alto Research Centre luminaries. Most people have no idea how
much we owe to Xerox PARC — the mouse, ethernet, windowing interfaces, menus,
scroll bars, object-oriented programming — all came out of Xerox PARC.