Re: [OM] Why can't they get it right? [was Converters Are Us]

Subject: Re: [OM] Why can't they get it right? [was Converters Are Us]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 23:31:25 -0800
I fondly recall His Mooseness' elegant dissertation on the different algorithms
used by the converters to correct linear distortion.  That was a 5/5 lens cap
post and the most thorough analysis of that topic I have ever seen.

http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2016-09/msg00059.html

Now do I have to add Capture One, which is different yet?

As you know I have always railed against the empire of being bound by the OEM
metadata corrections AND they crop the image too much.  Why ACR/LR could not
leave it as with Canyon where  the degree of
correction is adjustable by the user, is a mystery.

I've assumed that OLY, Panny and Adobe made an agreement, details of the correction data in exchange for not embarrassing them by showing how much image they were dropping by leaving a lot of linear distortion to be corrected in software, then cropping to the original aspect ratio/width. Adobe avoids lots of development time and µ4/3 gets images out of ACR/LR that match their out of camera JPEGs and Raw conversions in geometry and geography. Both avoid lots of questions to answer. :-)

The Laowa 7.5/2.0 is far less trouble. Correcting the moderate barrel distortion loses very little AoV. But, oh well, I'll save that confession for later. Black Friday can be dangerous. :-D

The DXO image unlike PTL is a bit larger, but that is OK and at least it is
adjustable.

Weeellll, there's a little box in DxO called "Keep aspect ratio"*, which chops off the edges - much like SilkyP, Viewer 3 and ACR, but with straighter lines. AND - If you give PTL a larger image to work with, by enlarging the canvas, it makes something wider, and very like DxO.

BTW, by the time you constructed those superb roll-overs, a complete set of
images to submit for PTL could probably have been shot.

Maybe, but making the roll-over samples really makes me notice what's going on. And I use templates, so actually putting the display together doesn't take much effort. If I didn't have a profile in DxO, it would be a different barrel of eels.

Bent out of shape too,  Mike

Chuckling Moose

* Which mostly doesn't work in the new PhotoLab version. Got support to admit they didn't know and send my examples on to the Development Team. Meantime, OP 11 works fine.