Re: [OM] Geocoding

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 14:44:17 -0800
> I see the new Montana 680 has an 8mp camera however the 610 is the same but
> lacking the camera and is 50 bucks cheaper.  Seems a bit much for a mediocre
> camera. More importantly new models do GLONASS sats which gives a lot more
> options when only viewing a sliver of sky. Might help with multi-path error
> too. Don't bother paying for the loaded maps. The free ones are fine or buy
> what you want later. I got the "t" suffix unit with the preloaded TOPO U.S.
> 100K maps which I hardly ever use...

That's an interesting take. I like the TOPO 100K maps as a nice
universal fallback, but would be loading my own specific ones for
planned outings. The problem is that I rarely know where I'm going
before I get there. :)

The camera feature would be low priority for me, but it would be a way
to keep track of locations for some photographs. I suppose I could
embrace geocoding, but I'm happy with a guide image that I can then
match up with the ones from proper cameras.

The GLONASS receiver is actually pretty important up here. The GPS
sats are usually a bit low on the horizon and the mountains do obscure
too much sky. GLONASS has a higher orbital inclination making for
better visibility. I'm told to NOT buy a non-GLONASS unit. It's not
that GPS doesn't work up here, but there are spots that I want to be
that it is sometimes problematic.

The reality is that I just want a new toy.

AG