Re: [OM] the war is over, they won

Subject: Re: [OM] the war is over, they won
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 14:43:49 -0800
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>>

> I also look back at my library of pictures from the '90s and see that
> I'm usually missing pictures that establish context

I had the considerable advantage of a year as a photojournalism major. I
developed, fairly early on, the habit of starting wide to establish context,
then getting narrower and narrower.

For example, I shot a conference last year, and would enter a workshop room,
shoot the entire room at 7mm at a few angles, shoot the main seating at 14mm a
few times from various locations, switch lenses to the 35-100/2, shoot
ensembles of several groups of several people interacting, then zoom in and go
for individual expressions. I had to shoot five rooms every ninety minutes, for
three days, this way! But the organizers loved the work, and my photos are all
over next year’s call for papers.

But that isn’t for everyone, I guess. If you’re just a landscape photographer,
you might not think you need context. But I carry that habit even when I’m not
shooting events, and I find it helps me identify and document the “money shot,”
even if the context shots are artistically or technically wanting for some
reason.

Jan