Re: [OM] OT: Weekend Weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weekend Weather
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 14:36:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: "Pearce,Wilfred" <pearce@xxxxxxxx>
     They all use the same GFS, NAM, RAP, etc. provided by NCEP.  Plus, some
stations have additional models.  The University of Arizona has a number of
products, and a couple of stations here make good use of them.

     One thing, though, is annoying.  All of our stations here claim that they
have their own independent radars, but in fact they are using the raw feed from
the NWS radars and then applying some third party processing to create mosaics
of the entire state.  Most of the public isn't the least bit aware of this as
they've been socially conditioned to believe anything without question.

     Intellicast had a wonderful composite radar product, but they've been
eaten up by Weather Underground, and their radar product is not as good.

>The big change is the forecasts we see  here is the use of computer
>models. Don't know if the NWS uses them, but nearly all TV stations use
>them, many have several and pick and choose. One of our local stations
>has four models and identifies them by name on air. Like any of us would
>have a clue what that means.
>

>>Yes. I think that weather prognostication has improved dramatically over
>>the last 10 years and it is because the "window" is a lot more
>>sophisticated thanks to satellites, radar and more computing power to
>>run models.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson