Re: [OM] Musings - Re: setting up a photo database

Subject: Re: [OM] Musings - Re: setting up a photo database
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 14:14:36 -0800
So what is a good strategy to deal with 2 computers?

It seems that you've not as yet received fully useful answers to this question.

My impression from what's been posted is:

1. There is no simple, direct, entirely satisfactory solution for all
situations.

2. Thus, optimal strategy is dependent on situation, and individual needs.

( I am interested in what makes for an expert these days. Is this Tim Grey person actually someone to rely on, or just a guy who writes a blog? (Rhetorical question.))

I think not everyone here fully understood the details of your question. You posed it rather broadly. Am I correct that the primary question is how to allow you and Marnie separate, but equal, access to all your shared photos in LR?

================
And that the question of travel is separate? As I recall, you don't like to carry a computer on your travels, so all the Q and As about that aren't important to you?

Keeping all photos and the LR catalogue on external drive seems nuts with all
the space I have on the new system.  Some keep a catalogued synced on 2
systems, usually a laptop and tower with a laptop for travel.  That looks
complex.
It does not look like LR will accept having the catalogue on a network drive if
I configured my current laptop C drive as such.   The catalogue by itself can
be on an external drive and LR doesn't care which computer it is on.
Perhaps just transfer the images to the new system as there is plenty of room
and have two separate catalogues  (one on each)and add the images to the system
where they were not processed. Both will be backed up and adds redundancy but
is more work too.

I wonder if simple might not be best. Put the image files and LR catalog on each computer. When a few changes have been made, use Syncback to sync the two sets of images, then update each LR catalog to the new/changed images on that machine. Syncback works fine across the net between two machines, I use it that way all the time.

Unless an awful lot of changes are being made, the whole process should be
quick. Adds another level of back-up, too.

Having everything on an external drive raises performance issues. And, in your situation, means only one person may use it at a time.

I thought about keeping all images on a network drive, with local catalogs. LR has an option to add a network location in Import; it sees directories, but it doesn't see JPEGs in them on my NAS. I'm not sure why that is.

Simple minded Moose