Re: [OM] Questions on OM-2n

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions on OM-2n
From: "Jim Terazawa" <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:25:07 -0600 (CST)
Cc: jimt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jim Terazawa)
Dan,

I have a OM-2n that I bought back in June 15, 1979.  The accompanied
instruction manual was printed in March 1979.  Let me try to find some of
the answers from below:

> 1) With the mode set to "OFF" what do I get when I fire the
>    shutter?
>    (My guess is that it picks the speed based on the OTF
>    metering, the same as "AUTO" mode.)

The NOTE at the bottom of page 13, it also says:

NOTE: If you release the shutter with the selector lever at OFF in
      normal lighting condition, the built-in exposure control is
      automatically activated to take a properly-exposed picture,
      so as not to miss optimum exposure chance, at any moment.
      The differecne between the automatic exposures in the OFF
      position and the AUTO position, however, is that the OFF
      mode exposure stops in 1/30 second maximum to save battery
      exhaustion.

Also, according to the Q&A section in the manual (p.39);

Q: Can film be properly exposed when the selector lever is in the
   "OFF" position ?
A: The OM-2 is designed to always expose the film loaded faster than
   approximately 1/30 second (ASA 100) with the selector lever at the
   OFF position.  If the shutter is unintentionally released in darker
   condition on "OFF" mode, the exposure automatically stops in
   approximately 1/30 second (ASA 100) to save unnecessary battery
   exhaustion.

> 2) With the mode set to "OFF" and a T20 flash ready (set for
>    automatic control by OM-2), what do I get when I fire the
>    shutter?
>
> 3) With the mode set to "OFF" and a T20 flash ready (NOT set
>    for control by OM-2), what do I get when I fire the shutter?

I did not find the section discussing of above conditions 2) and 3).
But I assume that the camera conditions is the same as 1) and 2).

> 4) With the mode set to "AUTO", I think it picks the speed
>    based on the OTF metering, correct?

Yes.

> 5) With the mode set to "AUTO" and a T20 flash ready (set for
>    automatic control by OM-2), what do I get?
>
>From page 32 of the manual;

 o Unlike conventional auto flash units which regulates flash
   emission by an independent light sensor, the T20 utilizes the
   OM-2's own built-in SBC light sensors, so that flash acceptance
   angle always coincides with the picture angle of the camera lense.
 o The OM-2 shutter automatically closes at the instant the flash
   exposure has been completed, eliminating camera shake.
 o By the incorporation of an incorrect flash prevention system, the
   electronic flash will not fire if the shutter speed is faster than
   the syncchronizing range.
 o Special techniques such as diffused lighting is made easily, obviating
   complicated compensations and guess-work.
 o Usable flash-to-subject distnace range is greaty expanded - from 25cm
   (f16) to 16m(f1.2) with a guide number of 20 (ASA100,meters).

> 6) With the mode set to "AUTO" and a T20 flash ready (NOT set
>    for control by OM-2), what do I get?

I do not have a T20 flash and cannot tell you whether you can set
the flash not set for control by OM-2.  And there is no section discussing
on this item.   However from page 33 of the manual on flash photography with
ther than the T20, it says as follows:

 o Set the synchro terminal to "X" by aligning the red dot on the FP
   and X selector with the "X" indication on the flahs socket.
NOTE: Mounting the electronic flash unit on the accessory shoe (shoe4
      in OM-2n) automatically completes the "X" synchro circuit.
 o Move the selector lever to "MANUAL" position
 o Set the ASA film speed on the flash unit.
 o Set the shutter speed ring to 1/30 sec.
 o Set the flash unit to the auto or manual setting.
 o In the case of manual mode, determine the correct f/stop by using
   the calculator dial or expore table provided with your flash unit.

> 7) With the mode set to "MANUAL", I think it does whatever is
>    set and OTF has no effect, correct?
>
> 8) With the mode set to "MANUAL" and a T20 flash ready (set for
>    control by OM-2), what do I get?

The manual does not describe above operations ( 7) and 8)).
Maybe other folks in this NG can answer.

> 9) With the mode set to "MANUAL" and a T20 flash NOT set for
>    control by OM-2, I think it will do whatever is set and
>    nothing is over-ridden, correct?

Yes.

> 10) Why shouldn't I always leave the camera in the "OFF" mode?
>    and only switch to "MANUAL" mode when I want control?  Any
>    advantage to switching to "AUTO" mode?

The reason for leaving "OFF" when the camera is not in use is
probably to eliminate battery drain.  The advantage of the OM-2n/
T20 or T32 is described in 5).

> 11) When does the 1/60 manual speed come into play?
>    (Only after the batteries are dead?)

Not sure, other than described in 1).

> I'd assume the T32 will function in the same way as the T20 in
> all the modes mentioned above.

I think T20 does not have AUTO/MANUAL control switch.  When I use
my OM-2n/T32 combination I set the cmaera/flash to AUTO.  When I
do the fill flash I set the camera to AUTO, flash to MANUAL (T32
has only two different outputs when set to manual), or set both
camera/flash to manual and figure out f-stop/shutter speed.

There maybe other folks on this NG that can correct me if I'm wrong.
Again, my camera is 19years old with one overhaul and specifications
of the camera might have changed since then.

Regards,
Jim Terazawa

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx