Re: [OM] Future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Future of OM
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:15:22 -0800
>On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:45, Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Although I can understand the frustration many of you might feel
>>regarding the lack of a new OM series camera for so many years,
>>suggesting a merger with or buyout by another company would be
>>insulting to any company.
>
>I agree with Tomoko on this.
>
>But on a tangent to this, during my Library search this past
>weekend, I came across the title of an article in the April '93
>issue of Popular Photography (100:21-2) that said:
>
>       Olympus OM-5 Auto Focus SLR?  Now you seem to see it,
>       but is it for real?
>
>I don't have access to the actual magazines, so I couldn't look
>up the article.  Does anyone know about this article?  Did Olympus
>show a prototype of an OM-5 back in 1993?  I assume that since it
>mentioned "OM" specifically that it was not talking about the IS
>series.  If this was a real OM camera, can someone summarize the
>article for us.  The title sounds interesting.
>       -Dan

Dan,

I saw this. This seems to be one of those "teasers" that PopPhoto was using
when it appeared that the magazine was going to fail. It was a very thin
issue without much advertising. It was one column wide and shared its
column with another short piece.  It had two very bad photos, one of a
largish, square, chrome slr with a huge OM on the front(looked like those
old vinyl press on letters. The other picture appeared to be a black OM4
with motor drive, badly underexposed, but hinting that this was the
autofocus OM.  The article did not really say anything concrete, but it was
mentioned on the cover in order to sell the magazine. I think it was a
complete fraud.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx