Re: [OM] Price in relation to quality.

Subject: Re: [OM] Price in relation to quality.
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 04:05:37 EDT
Hi Ingemar:

IMHO, there is too much attention paid to cosmetic appearance in equipment
grading - at least from the perspective of an active user.  If you are going
to shoot with a lens and don't expect to excessively pamper it with the
intention of selling it down the road, than I say don't buy the mint or even
Exc. condition lenses.  Just look for good glass and solid mechanics.  I've
picked up user grade (7) lenses with those two things perfect.  They make
great buys.  You are going to have to see these lenses to know if they fit the
bill - or get follow-up descriptions of them.

I just got a 135mm f/3.5 Zuiko in 9+ cosmetic condition for $49US and on my
first shoot with it (of petroglyphs), it fell out of my vest pocket and landed
on a sandy road.  Thank goodness there was no glass damage (the lens cap
popped off).  The filter ring and hood perimeter now has pits in the chrome.
It lead me to say outloud "Well, I just depreciated this lens."  Good thing I
didn't drop a mint. 35-80mm f/2.8 Zuiko!

While mentioning the 135, I might add that I NEVER thought I'd need this focal
length and avoided it for decades due to its "basic amateur lens" stigma.  But
it just came in handy shooting an exercise class (with flash, of course).  It
focuses suprisingly well with my old 1-4n and 1-4 screens.

The price of the 300 mm Zuiko has really shot up over the last decade.  In
1987, a mint one commanded $160US       ($218 in 1986 dollars).  Presently, US
advertised prices are:
$499-575         (mint), $395    (exc+ to exc++), $395-450 (exc to exc-), and
375-395
(ungraded, presumably user grade).  In comparison, I got a 300 mm f/5.6 Canon
FD for $37.50 - which I borrow from my gal from time to time, but not enough
to know that the Zuiko would be a worthwhile purchase.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV