Re: [OM] Longwinded gear question

Subject: Re: [OM] Longwinded gear question
From: "Andrew Wiese" <aw_oly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 17:52:01 PDT
Hi James,

It's taken me 1 1/2 years to get together my OM1, 50/1.4, 135/2.8, and
after-market 28-70/3.5-4 and Vivitar 283 flash.

I'd suggest you skip the longer zoom. If you need extra focal length,
try a 2x teleconverter, its cheaper, and I've had good results through
it with my 135, and a borrowed Kiron 80-200/4 zoom at 200 (making
400/8).

A good tripod definitely comes in handy, and will probably be my next
purchase, so I can stop hassling people to lend me theirs. I figure I
can get a decent one new for under $150 Australian.

After that, I'm going for a 24/2.8 or a new body (1n or 2n), whichever I
find in good nick first (spot metering's out of my range) and finally an
85/2. I'll be pretty happy with my kit by then!

I don't know how relevant this is, as I don't shoot macro, although I
have used a Vivitar 90/2.8 1:1, which are pretty inexpensive, and are
good enough for me (please, no flames everyone, I don't shoot orchids).

Cheers

Andy
(Poor arts/law student, Macquarie Uni, Sydney)