Re: [OM] Reversing Ring/Macro Hints/Help?

Subject: Re: [OM] Reversing Ring/Macro Hints/Help?
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:28:27 EDT
Hi Steven,
I will try and answer some of your questions.

Steven wrote:
 Currently I'm the bemused owner of a 49mm OM mount reversing ring but don't
 have a clue as to what to do with it.

SNIP!
It is used to attach one lens to another end to end. ie. a 50mm onto a 100mm
will give 2x mag.

 I also have a 65-116 Auto extension tube and will soon have the shorter ext
tube's.
Snip
The 65-116 Auto tube is a great macro item.  You can use many of your lenses
to get various magnifications and working distances.

 Good reference book?
Snip
John Shaws book and tapes "Close - Ups in Nature" are the best I have seen.

 Are the extension tubes redundant if you have the full assortment of macro
 lenses?
Snip
No, you can use them on any lens to focus closer.

 Are extension tubes only useful with long lenses?  Could you use one with a
 reflex lens (500/8)?
Snip
I have not tried this.

 Should I still be on the lookout for an Auto-bellows?
Snip
Since you have the 65-116 Auto tube, I would learn to use it first and if you
need more extension with a particular lens, the bellow will do this for you.

 And lastly shouldn't some of the answers to this end up in the FAQ? >>
Snip
Try and find a copy of "Carl Shipman's Olympus SLR Cameras"  It has most all
information on macro you will need.

Good Luck,
BW