[OM] Re: How Much Is Enough

Subject: [OM] Re: How Much Is Enough
From: Bob Christopher <bc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:01:06 -0600
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 GARYINLA@xxxxxxx wrote:
How do you decide what to actually put in your camera
bag?  Any suggestions as to what would be best to
actually carry around for street photography and/or
travel snapshot type photography?
Here's a tactic that I learned from a fellow field
photographer many years ago that I still implement
to this day. Let me first say that this serves a dual
purpose in that it forces you to inventory your wares!
Make a list (check it twice) of all the gear that is
suitable for use. Do not include items you intend to
warehouse for collecting or display. Pack your bag with
the "usual" array of bodies, lenses, filters, film,
pods, bats, caps, flash, etc. and THE LIST. After each
day's shoot check off on the list those items you used
and add those items you forgot to pack and/or put on
the list (yes, there will be at least three!). Next
outing pack your bag with what you really used last
time plus those items you should have packed but didn't
plus anything specific to this outing. Repeat your
checklist at the end of the day. A few of these outings
will provide you with a "standard pack" list of the
essentials. Now take THE LIST and put the replacement
cost for every item on your inventory. Make a copy and send it to your
insurance agent and ask him/her to advise
if you are covered for loss, damage, theft, etc. To
this day I still retain an insurance rider for $10,000
that costs me about $15 a year for photo & computer
equipment used outside my residence as part of my job.
You don't have to be a pro photographer to get the
rider on photo gear, just show a need to photograph
something. Saying you need to photograph things for
liability purposes always works.

Bob

/BC                                     Bob Christopher
                                           bc@xxxxxxxxx