Re: [OM] IS-10 ruggedness

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-10 ruggedness
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:45:26 +0100
Dear William

>I've heard horror stories about the IS-10 (and plastic-bodied autofocus
>I bought the IS-10 because I was afraid of taking my OM-4Ti out of the
>house on all but special occasions. If the IS-10 is lost or damaged, I'm
>out "only" $300 or so. (Have you priced an OM-4Ti body lately? Ouch! Not
>to mention the flash, motor drive, battery pack, and whatever lens
>you're using.)

My photo equipment is all insured for replacement value, but with a £50 excess.

Can you not insure your equipment for replacement value?  Or are you merely
being careful to protect a favoured piece of equipment?  I *think* that I
know the feeling, but I don't have anything as valuable as a ...Ti! ;-)

I had some problems with Insurance in the US (for cars) when I was there in
88-90.  They would not accept my insurance history from the UK and Germany,
so they (State Farm in Florida) put me on some tiny indemnity ($10/10/30k I
think it was) for 6 months until I had a US history.  Then they put me on
the proper indemnity of 100/100/300!! ... in the UK and Germany the
personal liability is unilimited!  Is it the same with other insurance
policies?

Regards
Chris