Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes
From: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Volkhart Baumgaertner)
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 19:10:32 GMT
Yo,

on Fri, 02 Oct 1998 17:09:07 -0400, Denton Taylor wrote:

>right. Think of all the early Japanese superbikes; when was the last time
>you saw one on the road? The Kawasaki Z1, Honda 750's, etc., even Gold
>Wings. Yet I see 30 year old Harleys, BMWs, and yes, even Triumphs and BSAs
>on the road every day.

I see quite a few of these over here. I don't know whether it's different
where you're at, but over here quite a few Japanese bikes have the
reputation of extreme longevity, e.g. the old Honda CB 750 and CX 500
models, and even a few later (not brand new, of course, as it takes some
time to build a reputation, but partly still in production) models are
legendary for usually reaching very high mileages (> 100.000 km) before you
ever have to open up the engine for major maintenance - among those are, for
instance, Honda's ST 1100 Pan European, Transalp and NTV 650 (Revere), and
Yamaha's FJ 1200 and XZ 550. This was one major reason for me to purchase an
FJ 1200 (with still very low mileage) last year, which is the fifth bike in
my biking career and which, just like my OMs, I intend to keep for a long,
long time.

Which brings me to a question I have sometimes wondered about: If there are
more bikers on this list - where do you carry your cameras when riding, and
how do you protect them? I usually carry only my Stylus Zoom in a pocket of
my jacket, because of its compact size and the weather protection feature;
however, on occasions where I expect exceptional opportunities for some good
shots I put a small camera bag with an OM-2 body with a 28-105 f3.2-4.5
Kiron zoom, an SCA-dedicated Cullman flash and sometimes a winder (no-name
el cheapo, but works good) in one of my cases, which I regard as a fair
compromise for most of my typical shots on bike tours. I have not had any
problems with the equipment so far, but I wonder whether a regular camera
bag inside the motorcycle case is enough protection considering the
vibrations and shocks that occur on a bike.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx