Re: [OM] Is it that bad

Subject: Re: [OM] Is it that bad
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 07:41:13 +0000
Neither Contax nor Leica is neglecting MF. I agree the engineering of the
Contax AX is a scary thing, but if I wanted AF I'd use others. I'd have to
say that the Leica R8 is pretty exceptional, although huge. The Contax Aria
is tiny and lighter than a 4t including batteries and winder (though of
course it accomplishes this by use of the dreaded plastique).
Yes I was thinking about the predecessors to the R8, none of which
impressed me
it was also the opinion of the dealers who said it was the lenses that were
exceptional but they were so expensive for me at the time and indeed now.
Obviously Contax, Leica and Oly are in the top 5 re lens quality.  I
suppose when it comes down to it lenses are more important than the camera,
assuming that the camera gives the opportunity to handle reasonably, focus
and expose correctly, which most do. Thats why I wonder if most
photographers use
the same lens (eg sigma) in their Nikon or Minolta won't they get the same
results, all other things being equal.

Neither Leica, Contax, or Oly has a complete system; significant holes
appear in each. However one has higher hopes (unfortunately) that the holes
will be filled first by Leica or Contax...
Surely neither the Contax nor Leica systems are anywhere  near as
comprehensive as OM, they may be in the future of course. What holes could
Oly plug, more powerful flash?

Regards
Richard