Re: [OM] Close focus

Subject: Re: [OM] Close focus
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:42:20 -0700
In order of cost, complexity and capability you can consider:

close up lenses - get a good name-brand set
a reversing ring to mount your normal lens backwards
a mating ring to join two lenses together nose to nose.  Or read 1001 uses
for duct tape and write new chapters for uses 1002-1010.
extension tubes - auto tubes are *very* nice, but not absolutely required.
a 50mm real macro lens (the f/3.5 Zuik is a bargin nowadays)
telescoping auto-tube
bellows - the double cable release is very *very* nice for this accessory
other focal length macro lenses
    80mm is optimized for 1:1, great for slide duping/cheap prints from
slides copying
    the newer 50mm f/2 macro is much brighter than its 3.5 cousin, does
great stars :)
    the 20mm and 38mm are impossible to beat for high reproduction ratios,
extremely specialized
    the 135mm is tops for working distance in the field
    the 90mm is the stuff of legend, a lovely lens, macro or otherwise.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".