Re: [OM] 21mm Portraiture

Subject: Re: [OM] 21mm Portraiture
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:02:45 -0500

Susan Steele <Scj9000@xxxxxxx> writes:
>If my hub ever takes a portrait of me with a 21mm,
>he'll be on my ____ list for quite a while! Have you
> ever seen what one of those things does to a nose???

Ah, but the point is not to focus on the nose (that's what the 16mm fisheye is
for ;-).  Doing portraiture with a borrowed 21 is what hooked me on Zuikos.
Somewhere in the old wallpaper sample book I use to hold my prints there are two
favorite portraits taken with the 21, both have the subject seated with their
feet out (hmm I guess I'm not all that inventive).  Sort of an L shape with the
shot taken from somewhere in the open part of the L.  In the first an officemate
has his feet up on something while he leans back in a chair and the shot is
taken from high above.  In the second a friend who'd commisioned a portrait for
inclusion in an art project got pushed back into sitting on a sand pile.  In
both, by not getting too close I got good representations of the models while
the background does interesting things.  No overlarge noses!