Re: [OM] Four new pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Four new pictures
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:23:55 +0200
Shawn wrote:

>Thanks for the info on this lens - very nice results and surprising
>contrast for a mirror lens.

Concerning mirror lenses, I have read in the Internet, that they have an
"anormal" behaviour with regard to contrast. Because of there central
aperture, they amplify the contrast of objects with high contrast, and they
reduce the contrast of objects with low contrast. Does anyone know more
about this ? Then I think you can't compare these Russian mirror lenses
with many of the simple aftermarket mirror lenses. If you consider the
aperture, which is one step larger than that of an usual 500mm mirror lens,
and know, that you can (and must) use this large aperture, you become
aware, that these lenses are not playthings but optical gems.
Matthias