Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones to use?

Subject: Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones to use?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:42:22 -0500
At 11:50 AM 5/10/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm considering buying one or more teleconverters to really explore the
>field of super telephotography. Therefore I would like to hear (read) some
>comments/suggestions from people who actually have experience with them.

Olaf,

I have the Zuiko 2X-A. I've used it most successfully with the 135/3.5 in a
pinch, but it works with the 200/f4, although need I say that combo
requires extra good support?

The Vivitar 2X-macro is an interesting accessory, since it gives you macro
focusing in addition to TC-ness. It works quite well with a 50/1.8 for the
equivalent of a 100/2.8 macro, although I wouldn't push this combination
too hard.

The person who recommended the Vivitar 2X-macro to me said that it produced
acceptable results with some of the larger Zuikos the Oly 2X won't support,
like the 350.  Haven't had the opportunity to try that combo :(

Finally, the Vivitar 3X is best in tripling a short lens, provided you can
live with a daunting loss of speed (minor problem) and contrast (bigger
problem).

Hope this helps.

Joel